Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Pursuit of Happiness

It's Tuesday morning, March 24th and I'm sitting at my desk drinking my cup of coffee deciding what I think about the snow on the ground outside. The sunshine and hints of spring have ruined me. I think the snow is harshing my mellow. 

My mom sent me this quote this morning:

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." 

I'm unsure of who said this, but whoever they are I think I agree with them. 

I've heard it other ways...Life's about the journey, not the destination...Don't miss the forest for the trees... It's been said again and again because it's true. Truth is funny like that - Enduring. Unchanging. 

I've often been caught up in the chase. Sometimes it seems that happiness is just out of my reach. I'm always right behind it, but I can't quite catch up to it. And you know what? That makes me feel unhappy. Chasing things...people...success...is exhausting. 

I do think happiness is in the journey, and that you can get so fixated on the trees that you forget you are in the forest. I try so desperately to attain happiness that I forget to be happy. And yes, I can just be happy. I get to decide. You get to decide. 

The pursuit is a distraction fueled by discontentment. Follow your dreams, work towards goals, run your race - but choose happiness along the way. 


And yes, I have Kid Cudi stuck in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment