Friday, March 27, 2015

Oops...I Skipped A Day.


Day Two: Something I feel Strongly About.


A couple years back I worked as a clerk at CVS/Pharmacy. It was a relatively boring job ringing people up and stocking shelves but it worked for me at that time in my life. While I was there I did my best to get to know my coworkers, a lot of which were between 40-60 years old. All of them rather hated the place. One day I was talking to one of the ladies about their career at CVS and I asked her if she liked it. She'd been doing it for 30+ years. She said, "It's just a job." So I asked her what she had wanted to be when she grew up or if she could do anything in the world now, what would she do.

She didn't know.

I remember not being able to comprehend her answer. She didn't know what she wanted to do? Not even an inkling of inspiration or a vague memory of a dream? I promised myself that day that I would never let that happen to me. I never want to stop dreaming and stop searching for the adventure. I never want to work a terrible job for 40 years and forget the things I dreamed about.

I know its hard. I know people have to do what they have to do - because of debt, or security, or benefits, or their children. But surely there must be a way to keep dreaming. A way that doesn't require settling for a slow death doing something you despise.

What I do right now is far from my dream job. It's what I have to do for now. But there are so many things I aspire to be and do. And I will do them. This is just a tool in my hand for the moment. My goal is to be debt-free in a year or so, and this job will help me reach that goal. Then...

The sky is the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment